A 36-hour master’s degree offered in two distinctive curriculum tracks, MAIS Standard and MAIS Fusion-Masters. Students may complete the MAIS Standard curriculum by completing 27 hours of a Foundational Core courses and 9 hours of Intercultural Studies courses.
Students may complete the MAIS Fusion-Masters curriculum in two phases. In phase one, students will complete the 27 hours of Foundational Core courses in consecutive fall, winter, and spring terms.1 While enrolled in these courses, students will be placed in a cohort with other MAIS Fusion-Masters students, and participate in weekly in-person meetings with MBTS missions faculty.
In the summer following the completion of the MAIS Foundational Core courses, students will deploy to partner with either IMB or NAMB personnel for the FusionMasters Practicums phase, also known as phase II. During phase II, students will complete the remaining 9 hours. IMB or NAMB personnel will supervise these practicum courses, and an MBTS missions faculty will serve as the professor of record.
Students graduating from the MA in Intercultural Studies degree program will be able to do the following:
1. Interpret Scripture using theologically and historically informed principles.
2. Demonstrate skill in communicating biblical truth cross-culturally.
3. Demonstrate cooperative leadership skills in a missions context.
4. Identify biblically faithful and culturally relevant strategies for church planning in a missions context.
Core Course List (27 hrs)
- BS 2210 Old Testament Survey I
- BS 2211 Old Testament Survey II
- BS 2310 New Testament Survey I
- BS 2311 New Testament Survey II
- BS 2400 Introduction to Hermeneutics
- HT 3200 Theology I
- HT 3201 Theology II
- MN 5060 Evangelism and Discipleship
- MS 7011 Missiology
Intercultural Studies Emphasis (9 hrs)
- MS 7205 Introduction to Orality and Oral Cultures
- MS 7207 Missionary Anthropology Practicum
- MS 7221 Cross-Cultural Church Planting Practicum
Fusion-Masters Emphasis - Phase II (9 Hrs)
- MS 7217 International Church Planting I or
- MS 7113 North American Church Planting I
- MS 7218 International Church Planting II or
- MS 7114 North American Church Planting II
- MS 7219 International Church Planting III or
- MS 7115 North American Church Planting III