The Non-degree Certificate programs of Midwestern Baptist College and Seminary are designed to offer basic biblical, theological, historical, and personal training for lay ministry in the local church. These certificates are not alternatives to undergraduate preparation for vocational ministry offered through the College; however, they afford students an opportunity to deepen their understanding and skills through study and training in a formal academic environment.
Students graduating with an Undergraduate Certificate will be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate introductory knowledge of the Bible and theology.
- Interpret the English text of Scripture with greater proficiency using appropriate hermeneutical principles.
- Articulate and defend their own theological beliefs on the basis of Scripture and within the larger setting of church history.
- Understand and practice the classical spiritual disciplines.
- Be engaged faithfully in the Great Commission, having the skills and understanding needed for lay evangelism and/or missions involvement.
The curriculum for each certificate is determined by the prefix assigned to each 3 credit-hour course appearing in the institution’s undergraduate catalog. Accordingly, the following certificates are available to the non-degree seeking undergraduate student
- History and Theology – 4 courses with an HT prefix
- Biblical Studies – 4 courses taken with a BS prefix
- Humanities – 4 courses taken with an HM prefix
- Business – 4 courses taken with a BN prefix
- Counseling & Psychology – 4 courses taken with a CO or PY prefix
- Christian Education – 4 courses taken with a CE prefix
- Ministry – 4 courses taken with an MN prefix
- General studies – any 4 courses
- Certificate of Worship Ministries
Midwestern Women's InstituteMore Info about MWI
Certificate of Ministry Studies
The Certificate of Ministry Studies provides women an opportunity to enhance their spiritual and practical skills necessary for ministry such as having a basic knowledge of the Bible, personal discipleship, and gaining a better understand of their personal gifts and talents. Must complete 10 hours of MWI courses.
Advanced Certificate of Ministry Studies
The Advanced Certificate of Ministry Studies provides women an opportunity to enhance their spiritual and practical skills necessary for ministry. Women who complete this certificate will have the opportunity to build upon the basic knowledge of the Certificate of Ministry Studies, with the opportunity to expand their knowledge base by taking additional courses. These courses will help women not only have a basic knowledge of the Bible, personal discipleship, and a better understanding of their personal gifts and talents, but will help them to better understand mission and ministry. Must complete 15 hours of MWI courses.
Certificate of Worship Ministries
This unique and specialized Certificate in Worship Ministries (CWM) is designed to serve and equip several types of ministry leaders in context of the local church: 1) bi-vocational worship leaders, 2) lay leaders in worship ministry, 3) current ministry students in any degree program who desire to add this mini-core of classes and certification in efforts to also be trained in the area of worship and music, or 4) current pastors who desire deeper study in the area of worship or who want to better understand their own role as a biblical worship leader and/or better support his own church’s worship ministry and leader. This certification is uniquely framed to encourage and supply such persons with a overview of the biblical theology and ministerial philosophy of worship along with basic practical music and administrative concepts. Whether this certificate is your only formalized study in worship ministry, or whether it will be tacked on to a previously earned seminary degree or one presently being earned, the CWM is a great way to expand your biblical and ministerial understanding of an effective, Christ-centered worship ministry. There are no competency music tests required for entering this course of study.