- Personal Website
Matthew Barrett is Associate Professor of Christian Theology at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. He is also the founder and executive editor of Credo Magazine, an evangelical publication making theology accessible to those in the church. He is the host of the Credo podcast, where he has conversations with the best theologians today to discuss the most important issues in theology. Dr. Barrett has been the executive editor of Credo Magazine for over ten years, publishing over 40 issues, and you can read about why he founded Credo here.
He is the author of numerous books, such as Simply Trinity: The Unmanipulated Father, Son, and Spirit (Baker), None Greater: The Undomesticated Attributes of God (Baker), God’s Word Alone: The Authority of Scripture (Zondervan), and Canon, Covenant, and Christology: Rethinking Jesus and the Scriptures of Israel (IVP).
He has also edited books such as The Doctrine on Which the Church Stands or Falls (Crossway), Reformation Theology (Crossway), Four Views on the Historical Adam (Zondervan), and he is the series editor of The 5 Solas Series with Zondervan.
He has several books that will release soon, including The Reformation as Renewal: Retrieving the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church (Zondervan) and The Doctrine of the Trinity (IVP Academic). Currently, he is devoting the next several years to writing The Doctrine of God (Baker Academic).
He is originally from California, receiving his BA from Biola University in La Mirada, CA. He received his MDiv and PhD in systematic theology from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY. Prior to MBTS he was Lecturer of systematic theology and church history in the UK and Assistant Professor of Christian Studies at California Baptist University. During his time in California, he was also Senior Pastor of Fellowship Baptist Church in Riverside, CA.
Dr. Barrett is passionate about the retrieval of classical theology and loves nothing more than seeing his students embrace and embody the theology of Christian and Reformed orthodoxy. As an elder in the local church, he is a theologian with a pastor’s heart, always eager to demonstrate how doctrine leads to doxology.
He is married to Elizabeth and they have four children. They love KC BBQ, rooting for the Royals, Chiefs, and Jayhawks. Dr. Barrett is an elder at Emmaus Church in north Kansas City. He is also a diehard Lakers fan. You can follow his weekly online writings at Credo Magazine, and follow him on Twitter. You can listen to Matthew Barrett by subscribing to the Credo podcast.
- • Simply Trinity: The Unmanipulated Father, Son, and Spirit —
- • Canon, Covenant, and Christology: Rethinking Jesus and the Scriptures of Israel —
- None Greater: The Undomesticated Attributes of God —
- The Doctrine on Which the Church Stands or Falls: Justification in Biblical, Theological, Historical, and Pastoral Perspective —
- 40 Questions about Salvation —
- Reformation Theology: A Systematic Summary —
- God’s Word Alone: The Authority of Scripture —
- John Owen on the Christian Life: Living for the Glory of God in Christ —
- 40 Questions about Salvation —
- Four Views on the Historical Adam —
- What is Regeneration? (Basics of the Faith) —
- Salvation by Grace: The Case for Effectual Calling and Regeneration —
- The Five Solas series. —
- Reclaiming Monergism: The Case for Sovereign Grace in Effectual Calling and Regeneration —
- The Grace of Godliness: An Introduction to Doctrine and Piety in the Canons of Dort —
- Whomever He Wills —