MBTS logo link to homepage

How One Stay-at-Home Mom Prepares for Future Ministry as Empty Nester

Posted November 30, 2023 by Brett Fredenberg

KANSAS CITY, Mo—Midwestern Seminary and Spurgeon College’s Global Campus is the newly designed online program for God-called men and women serving in unique kingdom assignments precluding them from pursuing residential education. Wherever students are called, they can now complete any of Midwestern Seminary’s degree programs however they can.

Midwestern Seminary is dedicating this week to highlight the mission and stories of the Global Campus and its impact on the Church.

Today, we want to introduce you to one of our Global Campus students, Kristin Wilkins. Kristin is a stay-at-home mom of 3 children, and soon to be an empty nester. She is currently in the Biblical Studies program at Spurgeon College and plans to continue with graduate studies. She and her husband, Brad, have been married for 26 years.

1. What is your favorite part of being a Global Campus student?  

The flexibility is great. I can fit in the time to do class work when it is convenient. The flexibility at the Global Campus does not come with a compromise. The courses are challenging and there is support from professors and class cohorts.

2. Why did you choose to study at Midwestern’s Global Campus? 

For one, I know ministry leaders whom I respect and trust who had attended classes at MBTS. Sound doctrine is extremely important, and I knew I would receive that if I chose this seminary. The mission statement of “for the Church” hit home with me as well.

3. How has the Global Campus further equipped you for your current ministry setting? 

I have been a stay-at-home mom for twenty-four years. My daughter is graduating this year, so we will be empty nesters. The Lord prompted me to begin this journey, I believe, to prepare me for the next season of life. Life looks different from what it did when I started classes here, which may be the case for some, and that is alright. It is refining. I have a firmer understanding of the faith, of God’s overarching narrative of Scripture, the gospel, and the reliability of Scripture. Beyond the academic, the Spirit’s application of that knowledge to my heart, growing my affections and joy in Christ, has equipped me most. (Mt. 22:37-39)

4. At the Global Campus, students can study where they are, how they can, fully connected. Which of these values have resonated with you the most during your time in the Global Campus?

I am thankful for all those values, but I would have to say the flexibility is key. While God could rearrange things and make an education like this possible any time, the flexibility makes this endeavor achievable for many.

To learn more about Midwestern Seminary’s Global Campus, visit mbts.edu/global-campus

featured image

Latest Videos

Chapel with Michael Reeves – April 24, 2024
April 24, 2024
Fusion Commissioning Ceremony with Joe Allen III – April 23, 2024
April 23, 2024

Latest News