Midwestern offers the Master of Arts in Worship Ministries degree (MAWM) with a primary focus on equipping an individual for leadership in the specialized area of worship and music ministry. Because we exist to serve the church, efforts to prepare students to serve a myriad of local-church contexts includes a foundation in biblical and theological course study while integrating a theology and philosophy of worship and acquiring the basic musical and unique ministerial skills with which one may oversee, develop, and grow such ministries.
The MAWM degree is a master’s degree designed to be completed by proficient, full- time students within two years. While an undergraduate degree in music is desirable, it is not required nor is it a prerequisite for admission to the degree program. Please note, however, that all incoming MAWM students must show proficiency in fundamental musical skills and will be required to take a short series of competency tests* upon entering the program—scheduled during the week of orientation—in the areas of music theory, conducting, piano, and church-music history, as well as a proficiency in a major musical skill such as singing or playing an instrument.
[*See “Competency Test” information in the Course Descriptions section for a thorough explanation.]
Students graduating from the Master of Arts in Worship Ministries degree will be able to:
- Demonstrate appropriate competencies in music theory, history, and literature.
- Demonstrate a high level of applied musical skills and performance discipline.
- Demonstrate organizational and leadership skills in worship and church music ministry.
- Integrate a Christian lifestyle and professional musical development.
- Demonstrate a balanced approach to church music.
Worship Ministries Course Catalog
FOUNDATIONAL COURSES (30 HOURS)
- BS2210 Old Testament Survey I or BS2211 Old Testament Survey II
- BS2310 New Testament Survey I or BS2311 New Testament Survey II
- CE8301 Church Administration
- HT3101 History of Christianity II
- HT3200 Theology I
- HT3201 Theology II
- HT3400 Christian Ethics
- MN5060 Evangelism & Discipleship
- MS7001 Theology & Philosophy of Missions
- GS1801 Integrative I, Leadership (1 hr)
- GS1802 Integrative II, Assessment (1 hr)
- GS1803 Integrative III, Assessment (1 hr)
WORSHIP MINISTRIES COURSES (30 HOURS)
- CM9100 Biblical Foundations of Worship
- CM9205 Survey of Christian Worship & Congregational Song
- CM9421 Worship Technology
- CM9401 Worship Ministry Administration
- CM9403 Corporate Worship Leadership
- CM9103 Preparing Vocalists for Worship
- CM9104 Preparing Instrumentalists for Worship
- CM9565 Integrative Worship Ministry Experience
Applied Music Lessons (3 hrs)
- Choose major lesson area from voice, guitar, or piano (3 consecutive semesters at one (1) credit hour per semester)
Music Ensemble Participation (3 hrs)
3 semesters. Choose from the following: 9580 Chapel Choir, CM9582 Chapel Band I/II*, CM9583 Voices of Midwestern**
**audition only / traveling group / both vocalists and instrumentalists