MBTS logo link to homepage

Jared Bumpers Transitions to New Role at Midwestern Seminary

Posted August 31, 2022 by Brett Fredenberg

KANSAS CITY, Mo – Midwestern Seminary announces that Jared Bumpers will transition to full-time faculty as Assistant Professor of Preaching and Evangelism on October 1.

Additionally, Bumpers will serve as FTC Cohort Faculty Coordinator and cohost the Preaching and Preachers podcast with seminary president Jason Allen.

“Jared Bumpers is a rising star,” Allen said. “He’s a gifted preacher, teacher, and scholar. He’s a devoted churchman who well embodies Midwestern Seminary’s for the church vision.”

Allen went on to say, “Jared has distinguished himself in his current roles at Midwestern Seminary. Thus, this is a natural and well-earned promotion. I’m delighted more students will enjoy him in the classroom, that he’ll oversee our For the Church Cohorts, and I’m especially delighted he’ll join me in co-hosting responsibilities for my Preaching & Preachers podcast.”

Bumpers first joined Midwestern Seminary in 2017 as Director of Student Life and Events and part-time Assistant Professor of Preaching and Evangelism.

In his role, he strengthened and further developed the Student Leadership Program at the seminary and college, interacting with and investing in student leaders on a weekly basis.

“The Student Leadership Program is a huge part of Student Life and Events,” Bumpers said, reflecting on his time in the program. “Some of our best students participate in the program, and I will miss developing these student leaders.”

Bumpers also coordinated conferences and events for ministry leaders during his time in student life and events, including the annual FTC National Conference on Midwestern Seminary’s campus.

“Over the past five years Dr. Bumpers has done a tremendous job in Student Life and Events,” said Midwestern Seminary Senior Vice President of Institutional Relations Charles Smith. “He and his team have enriched our conferences and student life in every conceivable way.”

Smith continued, “Literally thousands of ministry leaders and students have been encouraged and equipped through their ministry. What’s even more impressive to me is the dozens of students he personally disciples every year. I’m thrilled to know that even more students will now be blessed through his ministry.”

Reflecting on his upcoming transition, Bumpers said, “I have enjoyed the opportunities I’ve had as Director of Student Life and Events, but I am eager to press into my teaching role and help train students to preach Christ from all of Scripture.”

In addition to his full-time teaching responsibilities, Bumpers will cohost the Preaching and Preachers podcast with seminary president Jason Allen. As cohost, he will interview various guests on the topics of preaching and pastoral ministry, giving specific insight on homiletical, exegetical, and pastoral issues.

“I’m looking forward to co-hosting the Preaching and Preachers podcast with Dr. Allen. The podcast is a great resource for pastors and preachers, and I’m excited to join Dr. Allen to discuss one of my biggest passions: preaching the Word of God to the people of God.”

Bumpers will also serve as the Faculty Coordinator for the recently launched For the Church Cohorts.

Within FTC Cohorts, Bumpers will help cohort leaders recruit and train students in each of the various disciplines. He will also mentor and teach aspiring pastors in the Timothy Track program.

“The Timothy Track program is the best way to prepare for Christian ministry. It helps seminary students gain ministry experience alongside theological education,” Bumpers said. “I’m looking forward to partnering with Jordan Wilbanks to cultivate these students.”

Wilbanks, who helped establish the Timothy Track program six years ago, serves as Director of Church Partnership at Midwestern Seminary.

Anticipating Bumpers addition to the department, Wilbanks said, “The Church Partnerships department and Timothy Track program are receiving a massive addition with Dr. Bumpers stepping in to lead the coordination of FTC Cohorts.”

“What we have in Dr. Bumpers is a leader who is fiercely committed to the local church, and his pastoral heart will be the engine which drives the vision of the program.”

Wilbanks continued, “He is passionate about helping students deepen their devotion to the Lord and grow in their character, while also driving them to value and maximize their theological education here at Midwestern Seminary. He is a force of encouragement and a model of faithfulness. I believe his guidance will have incredible impact, possibly as a means by which God preserves many more leaders for longevity in healthy ministry.”

Midwestern Seminary Provost Jason Duesing also commented on the upcoming transition, “Jared Bumpers is a ‘for the church’ preaching professor and it is a blessing to have him teach and write in this area now with expanded responsibilities.”

“Pairing that leadership over our new cohorts is a natural fit and one for which I am thrilled and grateful–not only for our faculty, but also for our present and future students.”

To learn more about FTC Cohorts or apply to the program, visit mbts.edu/cohorts

featured image

Latest Videos

Chapel with General Douglas Carver – March 26, 2024
March 26, 2024
Chapel with Matthew Millsap – March 20, 2024
March 20, 2024

Latest News