Website The Bluff Church
Nine years ago this summer, The Bluff Church was birthed with a passion to love God and love people. Since our inception, we have been a people who have stood on the clear teachings of scripture and a driving desire to share Jesus with our community in real and tangible ways. The Bluff has endeavored to be involved in serving the people of Poplar Bluff through the school system, community organizations, and serving in any needed capacity. As our name indicates, we are a church that is all about being the hands and feet of Jesus in our city.
Our church began as a God-planted dream in the hearts of our Co-Pastors as they talked about the need for a church that was a safe place for people who had given up on church: people who had never been to church, people who had been hurt by the church, or people who sat in a church somewhere and longed for more. The vision to be a church for people who had given up on church inspired the original core group of 23 people to begin The Bluff Church in 2010, and it is still the vision that spurs us on today. Our mission has always been to simply love God and love people.
In July 2018, one of our founding Co-Pastors moved from the church to another ministry. Since October 2018 we have had an interim Teaching Pastor. We are now searching for a full-time Teaching Co-Pastor to join us as we move forward in pursuit of the church’s vision. This pastor would work in partnership with our Executive Co-Pastor and our Elder Team to lead the church toward that goal.
The main responsibilities of this position are as follows:
- Be the primary communicator for our Sunday worship gatherings, speaking 90% of the time during the year
- Oversee the youth ministry (grades 5-12) working in cooperation with our youth ministry team
- Serve as part of the Elder team guiding and shepherding the church
- Work as a team with the Executive Co-Pastor to guide the day-to-day operations of the church and setting the vision for growth of the church
- Function as part of the worship planning team
- Assist in the weekly set-up and tear-down of the Sunday worship gathering
- Give direction to some of the strategic service teams
- Connect with church family members, newcomers, and members of the community
- Work with the Elder Team in finding a more permanent physical home for the church
- Be involved in our community through community service
The ideal candidate for this position will possess these attributes:
- Possess the biblical requirements as an elder (1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:6-9)
- A committed follower of Jesus Christ
- A team player who knows how to both lead and follow
- A desire to be accountable to others in his spiritual and personal life
- A heart to serve the community without expecting anything in return
- A gifted speaker who values teaching above preaching
- Emotionally mature and stable
- A proven leader with the ability to inspire, guide, and empower others
- A self-starter, disciplined, and organized
- A humble spirit who is not above doing the least desirable job in order to serve Christ
The Bluff Church is a mobile church. We meet in the ballroom of the local Holiday Inn, and we have an office/meeting space and storage facilities also in the hotel. Part of each Sunday is the setting up and tearing down of our worship environment. We currently average 200-250 in worship on Sundays. Our church has cultivated a casual, come-as-you-are environment that places a high value on vibrant worship and practical Bible teaching. We believe church should be simple and strategic. Our focus is on five areas of ministry: worship, community groups, youth, children & preschoolers, and missions.
Part of the future vision for The Bluff Church is to locate a permanent home for our church family. The person filling the role of Co-Pastor will work with the Elder team to help our church realize this vision.
Recognizing that a Co-Pastor model of ministry is not the normal pattern seen in most churches, during the initial phase of the Teaching Co-Pastor’s time at The Bluff the Executive Co-Pastor will act as a mentor (not a boss) to allow for a positive transition. The ultimate goal of this period will be to create a leadership environment that allows both Co-Pastors to best utilize their gifts and to compliment each other in ministry and serve as equal members of the leadership team.
We truly believe The Bluff Church has its most exciting days ahead. God has positioned us to be a servant army for His kingdom in the Poplar Bluff community. With a heart to love God and love people, we believe that the future is going to be an exciting one for The Bluff Church.