Website Writing Center | Academics
|Title: Student Writing Coach – Work Study||Department: Academics|
|Reports To: Writing Center Coordinator||FLSA Status: Part-Time (Hourly), Non-Exempt|
|Length of Employment: 2019-20 Academic Year||Pay Rate: $12 per hour|
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
This is a Work-Study position intended for residential students to assist other students in their writing skills.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Writing Coaches will be responsible for the following:
- Helping create an inviting environment that enables students to grow and mature in their writing capabilities
- Helping students at any stage of the writing process (answering writing-related questions, helping students learn and practice writing strategies, connecting students to the MBTS style guide, pointing students to outside resources, coaching students through critiquing and strengthening their own work in areas of ideas, structure, flow, etc.) through both on-campus and online conferences
- Keeping records for each student conference
- Assisting with writing workshops and special events
- Following the Writer’s Studio philosophy and process (as covered in training)
The ideal writing coach will have the following qualifications:
- Writing Coaches should hold a BA degree or should have 100 hours completed in the Accelerate program.
- A high level of writing competence (including strong knowledge of key elements of writing, such as the writing process, effective structure and argumentation, appropriate use of sources, research skills).
- Strong verbal coaching and interpersonal skills (i.e., the ability to express ideas and answer questions clearly, encourage student success, ask questions, and offer suggestions in a clear and constructive manner).
- Computer skills that will enable the Writing Coach to conference effectively with students through e-mail and/or meeting programs, such as Skype or Zoom.
- A servant leader with a strong desire to help fellow students become stronger and more confident writers.
The Writing Coach will conference with students both in-person and online.
Working Conditions and Environment
Writing Coaches will work 10-15 hours per week.
This job description identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.