The Doctor of Counseling (DCoun) is offered by Midwestern College as a program of professional study for students who desire to practice professional counseling at the highest level of clinical competence.
The Doctor of Counseling is unique in its practice of a clinically descriptive and biblically prescriptive counseling model. This model combines the best practices of the behavioral sciences to describe emotional issues and applies Biblical concepts to solve emotional issues. This treatment approach is compatible with counselors who desire to join correctly the Christian perspective with contemporary scientific methodology and clinical techniques of the counseling profession.
The DCoun is designed for those holding the MACO degree of 52 or more hours. Students lacking the required 6 hours of graduate level biblical and theological foundations may take these courses concurrent with their doctoral enrollment.
The DCoun degree is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
For more information, contact the Doctoral Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduates from the Doctor of Counseling program will be able to:
- Assess, diagnose, and treat clients with a wide range of presenting problems and mental disorders.
- Effectively apply the Clinically Descriptive and Biblically Prescriptive Model in professional practice.
- Evaluate scientific research studies and convert them to evidenced based treatment processes.
- Create a private practice or practice within an agency or church ministry.
- Practice at the highest level of ethical and legal standards in the counseling profession.
- DR32020 Orientation and Christian Worldview Colloquium (1 hr)
- DR32266 Counselor Supervision & Health (3 hrs)
- DR32274 Advanced Marriage & Family Therapy (3 hrs)
- DR32268 Practice Building (2 hrs)
- DR32276 Advanced Diagnosis & Treatment of Addiction Disorders (3 hrs)
- DR32260 Advanced Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment (3 hrs)
- DR32270 Advanced Diagnosis and Treatment Planning (3 hrs)
- DR32272 Advanced Psychotherapy & Treatment (3 hrs)
- DR30262 Advanced Biological Basis of Behavior (3 hrs)
- DR32090 Dissertation Research Design & Statistics (3 hrs)
- DR40993 Dissertation: Independent research and data gathering for the dissertation and oral defense (0-3 hrs)