MBTS logo link to homepage

Why For the Church Still Matters

By Jason K. Allen

We believe that Midwestern Seminary’s right to exist is directly tethered to our faithfulness to the local church. I believe that any parachurch organization or ministry should be evaluated primarily based upon its faithfulness to serve, support, and strengthen the local church. Christ has promised to build His church, not His seminary. But as we are faithful to His Church, doubtlessly He will build this seminary.

Over the past decade, we’ve trumpeted our for the Church mission as loudly as we can. It’s been implemented across every square inch of the campus, embedded into every aspect of our institutional programming and curriculum, and embraced by every member of the team.

Moreover, for the church has given us institutional momentum.

It’s been an igniter, a propellant moving us forward, and it’s galvanized our constituency to support us. It’s been a cohesive, binding us together. We are for the church.

Articulating the Mission

Ordinarily a mission statement should not change with a new leader. Perhaps it’s tweaked or reapplied, but it ought not be reinvented with each leadership change. In a sense, I was blessed because Midwestern Seminary had already been serving the church, but it had not expressed that mission in a clear, cogent way. I had the opportunity to clarify, to convey, and every day since, to champion that mission.

When Winston Churchill was heralded as the lionhearted leader of wartime Great Britain, he famously said, “It was a nation and a race dwelling all around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar.” [1] 

I feel the same way toward Midwestern Seminary’s for the Church mission. Before me were faithful men and women already serving for the church. Yet, like Churchill, I’ve had the pleasure of articulating that mission and leveraging all the seminary’s resources for the church in a way that hadn’t been done before.

At the personal level, for the Church had been building in my life for years. I had twin loves, the local church and theological education. In fact, that’s why I’d been dually engaged in institutional and local-church ministry settings for almost my entire adult life.

But the for the church mission is so much bigger and better than I am. It’s not just autobiographical; it’s biblical.

The Unchanging Mission

Over the past ten years, I’ve watched with pleasure as for the church has gone from being my mission statement for Midwestern Seminary, to our mission statement for Midwestern Seminary, to the mission statement of Midwestern Seminary.

There is a symbiotic relationship between the church and the seminary; they are to serve, strengthen, and support one another. With the previous generation of pastors retiring, churches are asking, “From whence will a new generation come?” Midwestern Seminary must be ready to respond to that question every year going forward by supplying a new generation of pastors, missionaries, and ministers to serve our churches.

This is precisely why for the Church still matters. Our mission has not changed. Our constituency has not changed. Our directive from the Lord has not changed. Therefore, we will continue to be for the church because our calling is clear, and the need is great.

For the Church animates our team, represents our institution, and inspires our constituency. Together, we are for the church, and we always will be.

*This article is an excerpt from Turnaround: The Remarkable Story of an Institutional Transformation and the 10 Essential Principles and Practices that Made It Happen. To purchase the book, please visit: jasonkallen.com.

[1] This line was said in a speech of thanks given at the House of Commons on Churchill’s eightieth birthday on November 30, 1954. See Geoffrey Best, Churchill: A Study in Greatness (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003), 183.

Share:
Twitter Facebook

Get Email Updates

Subscribe to The Midwestern Weekly newsletter and stay up-to-date with events, resources, and news coming from Midwestern Seminary and Spurgeon College

Subscribe Here

Follow Us

Stay in the loop by following us on our social media channels:

Request Info

Need more information about Midwestern Seminary or Spurgeon College?

Request Info

Apply Today

Start your educational career with Midwestern Seminary today:

Apply Now