MBTS logo link to homepage

The Glorious Irony of Ministry

I am sometimes convicted about the way I am prone to talk about pastoral ministry. I think in a lot of ways what the gospel-centered movement has given us in the recovery of a more biblical ministry is a good corrective to the professionalization of the pastorate and a good repenting from the therapeutic influence on religion. But I fear that too many of us have swung too far in another direction.

It is important for the minister to remember—for all of our concern about making sure congregations know we carry heavy burdens and for all of our concern about making sure we know that our task is special and weighty and serious—that in seeking to do justice to the grave realities of pastoral ministry, we do not drift into a mode of self-pity.

John Newton has captured the glorious irony of ministry well in his classic poem, “A Minister’s Burden, ” which begins: 

What contradictions meet

In ministers’ employ! 

It is a bitter sweet, 

a sorrow full of joy:

No other posts afford a place

for equal honor or disgrace.

It’s possible, I think, that we dwell too much on the bitter and not the sweet, the disgrace and not the honor, the sorrow and not the joy. Because above, beneath, and through it all, even a hard ministry can be a joyous occasion.

In John 15:11, when Jesus says that He came to “make our joy complete,” He really meant it, and He did not add, “Except for pastors.”

I cannot get over John 15:11. For all that Jesus says and commands, for all of the theology available to be downloaded in His teaching, He tells us that the point of all of it is happiness in God. “I have told you these things so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete.” He wants the joy that is in Himself to be in us, and that thereby our joy would be full.

If you are a ministry leader of some kind, reflect honestly on this question: Is joy a dominant experience in your ministry? Or is dwelling on what makes you so special keeping you too busy to be happy?

This doesn’t mean, of course, that we slap a smile on our face when experiencing difficulty or “fake it until we make it” when sad things are going on. But in commending His joy to us, Jesus isn’t exactly talking about emotional responses to circumstances. Normal ministers get sad about sad things. What Jesus is talking about in John 15:11—and in the chapter in general—is the reality of our mystical connection with Him through faith becoming the foundation in our heart and soul not of misery, but of settled, persevering, all-flavoring joy. He is commending a disposition that says, “Life may stink but eternal life is something to be seriously giddy about.”

Because of this gospel promise of Christ Himself, then, there are at least three kinds of joy to be found in hard ministry seasons.

The Joy in Resting in God’s Sovereignty

There is joy in resting in God’s sovereignty over your ministry. In John 15, Jesus tells us that He is the Vine and the Father is the Gardener. This really puts us in our place, doesn’t it? What are you? A branch. Do you give life? No. The Vine does that. Do you control growth? No. The Gardener does that. What do you do? Answer: Make sure you stay connected to the Vine.

I have not come across a doctrine so steadying for life and ministry than the absolute sovereignty of God over it all. I understand why this idea irritates so many people, because it used to irritate me quite a bit. And I can’t speak for anybody else but myself, but what finally helped me turn the corner was realizing what an idiot I am and how idiotic it was to prefer a sense of my being in control rather than the Creator God of the Universe who is not just all-powerful but loves me. He loves me actually more than I love me—at least as real love is counted.

The reality of the sovereignty of God over your ministry is the wellspring of a joyful rest, even as you’re faithfully working hard to do everything He’s commanded you. It makes so much of our ministry anxiety on the one hand and our ministry control issues on the other seem really, really pathetic.

Jesus says in John 15:7, “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you want and it will be done for you.”

There is a wrong way to take this text. We could take it the way of the prosperity gospel and turn Jesus into a vending machine, but we know that’s not what He means. The context bears out that Jesus is referring to fruitfulness. The “whatever you want” is not about health and wealth—not even in terms of ministerial success!—but is inextricably connected to the glory of the Father (John 15:8). In other words, when you are so aligned with Christ, when you have lined up your “whatever you want” with the sovereign “whatever He wants,” the fruit is guaranteed.

The Lord may not be committed to the expansion of your name, but He will be faithful to ensure the expansion of His. So we rejoice that our names are written not in the Who’s Who of Pastoral Ministry but in the Lamb’s book of life!

The Joy in Knowing Normal Ministry is Fruitful

There is joy in knowing that a normal ministry will produce fruit.

Now, fruitfulness can’t always be determined by external measurements and growth. If it could, there are a great many biblical scenarios that wouldn’t make much sense at all. Numeric, financial, and cultural growth isn’t always the kind of fruitfulness the Scriptures hold out as the produce of the Spirit’s work. In fact, many times the biblical dynamic is such that outwardly things look bleak and yet inwardly there is a great renewal of trust in God. As Paul writes, “Outwardly we are wasting away but inwardly we are being renewed day by day” (2 Corinthians 4:16).

Indeed, a church can look fruitful by worldly standards—increasing attendance, accumulating dollars, expanding influence—and yet not be advancing Christ’s Kingdom at all. One of the scariest passages with which I ever wrestled as a pastor is Ezekiel 37. The Lord shows the prophet the valley of very dry bones. And in the midst of the vision, there is a moment where the bones are moving but have no breath in them. It was a reminder to me that something can look alive and yet not be.

If we pair that text with Revelation 3:1—“You have a reputation for being alive but you are dead”—we receive a sobering reminder that sometimes a church can look successful but actually be spiritually dead, not bearing fruit that remains at all, just gathering sticks upon sticks to be burnt up on the last day.

But by contrast, you may be struggling along, stretching every penny, pleading with gracious passion for repentance and belief while not seeing many conversions, or any conversions, and still be fruitful in the ways that eternally count. In fact, Christ has guaranteed it. Big church or small church, successful pastor or struggling pastor, your fruitfulness is not contingent on your resources but on your Redeemer!

In fact, it is impossible to be united to Christ by faith and not bear fruit:

“The one who remains in me and I in him produces much fruit, because you can do nothing without me . . . My Father is glorified by this: that you produce much fruit and prove to be my disciples” (John 15:5,8).

The point is this: every work done in faith for the glory of Christ will produce the fruit Christ has ordained and is pleased by. Ministry leader, there is no joy in trying to “produce” for Jesus. He’s the One who produces. You can do nothing without Him. And this is liberating.

Too often we envision “successful ministry,” and we pour our energies and affections into seeing that vision become a reality. We assume that once we finally “arrive,” things will be better, easier, and finally and ultimately fulfilling. This is, functionally, idolatry. It is a creation of a false heaven, not simply false in its falling short of the real Paradise but false in its inclusion of talent, acquired skills, and grit to reach.

But a simple, plodding, faithful ministry to King Jesus, however meager or visibly lacking, is producing a spiritual fruit that resonates in eternity.

The Joy of Being Friends with Jesus

In the midst of hardship, in the midst of difficulty, the baseline joy of the beleaguered and burdened minister is that come what may, he gets to participate in the Spiritual life of Christ and actually be friends with Jesus. There is joy in the simple privilege of knowing Christ and being His friend.

I’ve learned a lot about pastoral ministry over the last nearly three decades. But what I’ve learned best has little to do with leadership techniques or missional strategies or administrative management. All of those things are good things, of course. What I learned of first importance is how necessary it is for the shepherd of God’s people to be friends with God.

Jesus says, “I do not call you servants anymore, because a servant doesn’t know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything I have heard from my Father” (John 15:15).

The hardship of pastoral ministry ought to drive us constantly into the position of re-centering on the gospel every day. In a sense, we must re-convert every day to the loving closeness of Jesus. By virtue of our union with Him, we can enjoy real communion with Him.

Pastor, don’t forget to meditate on the gospel with which you’re feeding other people. Don’t forget that you are not earning your keep. Don’t forget that, as much as a congregation may want you to be, you are not a hired hand.

Without closeness to Christ, ministry is just religious machinery. Draw near to him, and you will discover a wellspring of unassailable joy that, come hell or high water, will empower and equip you for the endurance you will need for years on end. He in fact will be your eternal joy.

There is joy in the simple privilege of knowing Christ and being His friend. 

Jared C. Wilson | Assistant Professor of Pastoral Ministry, Author in Residence

Share:
Twitter Facebook

Get Email Updates

Subscribe to The Midwestern Weekly newsletter and stay up-to-date with events, resources, and news coming from Midwestern Seminary and Spurgeon College

Subscribe Here

Follow Us

Stay in the loop by following us on our social media channels:

Request Info

Need more information about Midwestern Seminary or Spurgeon College?

Request Info

Apply Today

Start your educational career with Midwestern Seminary today:

Apply Now