MBTS logo link to homepage

Students Answer: Why Residential?

Posted April 30, 2021 by Midwestern Seminary

While we are increasingly thankful for all the ways technology and adaptability allow opportunities for theological education in almost any context, we are still convinced that the best way to get trained for ministry is to relocate to a seminary campus. But don’t just take our word for it. Let some of our students share with you the multiple benefits of getting your theological training on campus at Midwestern.

Cultivation

Michela Wingerd, current M.Div. student
“I would characterize my residential experience at Midwestern as being immersed in light. Whether in classes, chapel, campus life, or my local church, I am constantly being made to gaze upon the goodness and grandeur of God. As I learn more about who He is, I become more aware of how incredibly merciful and good He is to His people, in revelation and in redemptive history. By this constant renewing of my mind, He is making my faith flourish, and He is compelling me to sing His praises.”

Community

Grace Pike, graduating M.Div student
“Participating in residential life at Midwestern is an invaluable experience. Students, staff, and faculty united by the vision ‘for the Church’ come from around the world to encourage and grow alongside each other as we deepen our understanding of the gospel. I treasure the vibrant, healthy community I’ve been gifted at Midwestern and am thankful that no matter where the Lord leads next, we will have one another to spur on in the advancement of God’s kingdom.”

Context

Connor Guthrie, current M.Div student

“I came to Midwestern for the Timothy Track, the opportunity to be partnered with a local church and learn from seasoned pastors while progressing in theological education. But what I encountered far exceeded my expectations. At Midwestern, residential life itself epitomizes the seminary’s motto, For the Church. With classes that challenge and edify, professors who care and pray earnestly, student life brimming with a wonderful community, and active partnership with churches, there is nothing quite like residential life at Midwestern.”

Closeness

Michael Suchanek, current M.Div student
“I have valued my residential experience at Midwestern for many reasons: being able to sit in-person under the professors such as Dr. Todd Chipman and Dr. Jason DeRouchie, the experience of being a part of campus life and serving on the Student Leadership team,  moving to a new area and having new opportunities to serve and share the gospel, and meeting new brothers and sisters in Christ and getting to grow together in this season of life.”

Companionship

Clara Costello, current M.Div student
“To make my home alongside friends and fellow students at Midwestern has enabled me to build a strong foundation of ministry partners I know I will cherish and rely upon in the years to come. I am confident that the women I live alongside, the families I befriend, and the other students I study with will be the people I co-labor with for the gospel in the future, whether in close proximity or all over the globe. I am sure that my time as a student living and studying on campus will pay back dividends as we serve the church and build the kingdom together.”

Connection

Tyler Holloway, current M.Div student
“The value for residential life here at Midwestern for me is linked to the mission For the Church. Connections made on campus foster relationships that truly feel like family. There is not a day on campus I am not feeling connected to those around me, both students and faculty. Each day, every conversation draws me closer and closer to learning how to build relationships For the Church.”

Culture

Campbell Bortel, current M.Div student

“Residential life at Midwestern has been a tremendous blessing extending far beyond networking connections. I have gained lifelong friends that will be in the trenches of ministry with me in the days ahead. I have experienced the depths of partnership between a seminary and local churches. I know of no better way to wrestle through your ecclesiology than being immersed in a new church environment, with phenomenal professors at your disposal, and quality friends with which to process. I could not recommend residential life enough for anyone seriously considering future ministry and their spiritual growth.”